You will occasionally need vscsiStats to deepen your understanding of an application’s storage profile. This tool is provided with ESX classic but requires configuration and installation for ESXi environments. VMware is planning to add vscsiStats counters to the vSphere Client UI in a future version but until then you will have to perform the following to enable vscsiStats on ESXi.
- Boot ESXi in tech support mode. See KB article 1003677 for instructions.
- Download the right version of vscsiStats using the table below.
- Install the right vscsiStats binary using a secure copy tool such as WinSCP or scp.
I will provide vscsiStats binaries as requested. If you do not see the version of vscsiStats that matches your ESXi build, please provide in this article’s comments your build number (not release number!) and I will add it version of vscsiStats to the repository.
Currently Posted vscsiStats Binaries
Again, comment if yours is not listed!
- Build 110271, ESX 3.5 U2 (Someone please confirm that this works. This was a strange build.)
- Build 153875, ESX 3.5 U4
- Build 163429, ESX 3.5, patch 14
- Build 164009, ESX 4.0
- Build 171294, ESX 4.0 (same bits at 164009)
- Build 176894, ESX 3.5, patch 16
- Build 184236, ESX 3.5, patch 17
- Build 199239, ESX 3.5, patch 18
- Build 207095, ESX 3.5 U5
- Build 208167, ESX 4.0 U1
- Build 219382, ESX 4.0, patch 3
- Build 236512, ESX 4.0, patch 4
- Build 238493, ESX 3.5, patch 21
- Build 244038, ESX 4.0, patch 5
- Build 256928
- Build 261974, ESX 4.0, U2
- Build 398348, ESX 4.0, U3
Update, 15 May 2010: Change of SLA
Everyone may notice that I used to be able to be able to respond to requests for vscsiStats versions in 24 hours. Now that I no longer work for VMware and am living half a world away, I have to request the binaries myself from my contacts at VMware. So, it will take me a few days to honor requests.
Update, July 2010: ESXi in vSphere 4.1 Comes with vscsiStats
vscsiStats is now distributed with ESXi. There will be no vscsiStats for ESXi 4.1 and newer placed on this page. This page will remain up for older versions of ESXi, however.